Ira Abramov wrote:
I started going through the different SoftPhone options and I noticed an
odd thing. most hard phone support only SIP, but there are also some
excellent softphones out there that support only AIX2. If I have an
employee that uses a hardphone at the office but wants to connect with
an AIX softphone from home, he can't do that with the same extension
number? the way I read it, an extension can ONLY be one or the other. so
in essence I'd have to define two extensions for that guy and put them
in a ring group, plus set the IAX extension to give the CID of the main
one. did I get it right?

also, if I want to have two phones with the same extension number, do
they register with the same number or do I have to give them different
extension numbers and create a hunt/ring group?

In astrerisk extensions and channels ("clients") are two different thigns.

There is no problem having an extension that ring two, three of 576 different channels of different types.

Your problem is that you try to use the FreePBX front end which, as I told you last we talked about it, makes some things very easy at the cost of making the rest impossible.

To define an extension that rings two different channles, one SIP and one IAX do:

exten = > 201,1,Dial(IAX2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]&SIP/[EMAIL PROTECTED],30,m)

For example.

> ehhm... I think it's time I dive into an Asterisk-specific ML, eh? :)

I tried once to have an "asterisk-il" mailing list (actually it was called "foss-telco" but it was mainly asterisk). That didn't catch on quite well. Time to try agsin?

Cheers,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>