Actually, since my purpose is to experiment and learn , **getting my
hands dirty** with datasheets, etc is OK.

By what you write, I assume you have some experience or knowledge, so
I'll ask what I really should have asked in my original post. There are
many sensor kits on e-bay, but although some of them mention Raspberry
PI, it seems that they are not "really" meant for the PI, but for
Arduino.

Assuming, I'm willing to **dirty my hands**, do you think they should
work on a PI?

I'm including a link to a typical kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322176545722?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT