How exactly you connect to the server is not in the scope of the
discussion, and I agree that ansible is a sensible solution.

But what you're proposing is to manually update the package on a small
percent of the machines.

Manual solution is fine, but I would like to hear experience of people who
actually did that on many servers.

There are many other issues, for example, how to you roll back?

apt-get remove exposes you to the risk that the uninstallation script would
be buggy. There are other solutions, e.g., btrfs snapshots on root
partitions, but I'm curious to hear someone experienced with it to expose
issues I didn't even thought of.

Another issue is, how do you select the servers you try it?

You suggested a static "beta" list, and I think it's better to select the
candidates randomly on each update.

Anyhow, how exactly you connect to the server is not the essence of the
issue.