On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 10:28:19 +0200
David Harel <harel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I recently returned to work on Linux environment. (It's been a long
> time) Currently I use Fedora24 typical installation. I turned on the
> windows list bar using the window list Gnome shell extension:
> https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/602/window-list/

I couldn't see a screenshot on the preceding URL. The URL gave me an
error message saying I don't have Gnome installed (which is correct, I
don't).

[snip symptom description]

> Any idea how to make such configuration?
>
> Thanks.

Hi David,

My answer isn't responsive to your question: Others will be able to
answer your exact question.

You mentioned you've been gone from Linux a long time. A lot has
happened to Gnome in the last few years, most of it not good. Gnome is
now a huge bundle of dependencies such that the user is constrained on
adjustments he can make to his setup. Gnome also *requires* systemd,
which may or may not be an issue with you.

I suggest you try LXDE, which has an interface reminiscent of Gnome2 or
IceWM, and has few dependencies. You can use LXDE with any software (or
lack of any software). For even faster user interface, I suggest you
add Suckless Tools' dmenu to the mix.

If Fedora lacks LXDE (or its Qt version, LXQt), then I'd suggest you
get a better distro. Ubuntu, Manjaro, Void, whatever. If you're looking
for a no-systemd distro, let me know and I'll recommend a few.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21