I bought a DELL inspiron 7559 with the hybrid graphic card. It is the worst
laptop I ever had, All distros have issues with it. I wanted the laptop to
use the GPU and therefore preferred to use the nvidia driver.
Battery life sucks. keyboard seems to be fragile. Stay away from Dell at
least from the 7559.

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 at 14:04 Rabin Yasharzadehe <ra...@rabin.io> wrote:

> My 2c for this discussion is ,
>
> *STAY AWAY FROM HYBRID DISPLAYS !!! (aka Optimus or any other
> implementation) *
>
> The current state is disaster, with some minimal support.
> Only recently Fedora (25) took it as priority to support hybrid graphics
> cards out of the box (in Gnome3 only).
> and even then only with nouveau driver.
>
> Stick with Intel !
>
> Also check for multi display support with Linux when using a Dockstation.
>

> --
> Rabin
>
> On 26 December 2016 at 23:37, Michael Shiloh <michaelshiloh1...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I hope everyone is enjoying a very happy Chanukah.
>
> You might recall about a year ago I raised the question of a powerful
> laptop for Linux. I settled on a Thinkpad W541 and I am thrilled with
> it ... except for the weight.
>
> As I travel more and don't need the power of the W541 all the time,
> I'm thinking of a lightweight laptop for daily use.
>
> It's hard for me to consider anything but Thinkpads: I love the
> TrackPoint, the keyboard, the solid feel of the devices, etc. Given
> that, the top two contenders are the X1 Carbon and the T460S.
>
> The X1 is about 2.6 pounds and more expensive than the T460S which
> weighs about 3 pounds.
>
> Another big difference is whether the RAM and/or SSD can be upgraded
> on the X1 (I've seen equally strong claims that they can and can not).
> Some conversations insist they are soldered in, other say that perhaps
> the RAM can be upgraded by the user but is a non-standard form factor
> that can only be purchased from Lenovo.
>
> I think for the extra .4 pounds I'm willing to go with the better
> price of the T460S, especially if upgrading RAM and SSD is not
> possible on the X1 (I usually purchase from Lenovo with less storage
> and upgrade on my own).
>
> Any thoughts or advice?

Meir Michanie
RIUNX - Open source solutions