On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Amichai Rotman <amic...@iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'd like to build my own Linux-based Game Machine, for the kids.
> Their original request was a Console Machine (Sony PS4) but I thought I'd
> educate them with the Libre Software values...
> I didn't realize how hard it will be!
> They saved up their allowance and bought the following:
>
> Asus H10 Mini ATX Motherboard/
> Intel i5 CPU w/integrated GPU
> 2X8 GB DDR4 RAM
> 256GB SSD
> 2X SteamControllers

I'd add a decent, preferably nVidia based graphics card.
Depending on the games you want to play, anything above GTX 950 will
do just fine.

That said, you didn't mention what type of display is being used, E.g.
FHD T.V or LCD.
(E.g. a 4K display will require 1070 or above).

> My original idea was to install SteamOS on it. It wouldn't install - got a
> black screen after the first boot.
> I ended up installing regular Ubuntu 16.04 and Steam client.

I'm running normal steam on home workstation (Fedora 25, Xeons,
GTX1080, 4K) and my laptop (Fedora 25, i7, GTX 1080, 4K).
Can't say that I had any issues getting everything up and running.

> I am not a Gamer, so I find it hard to configure the Steam Controllers and
> finding games - and make them work.

Sadly enough, I don't use the Stream controller, so I have zero
experience with it.

> My kids are 11 and 12 years old, and don't have the skills necessary - yet...
> A friend from work told me to cut my losses and buy them the PS4 with a
> couple of controllers and thus get rid of the head ache...
> I am kinda tired of this - the whole thing started last September. Almost a
> year ago!
> I am writing to you with hope that one of you out there will be willing to
> come over and help me out with making it work.

Specific issues?

> I live in Haifa.
> Any thoughts / pointers / ideas / constructive criticism will be appreciated.
> Amichai Rotman.

PS4 / XBOX should be (far) easier, but far less useful if you want to
the do anything else with the machine, beyond gaming.

- Gilboa