Hello Mike,

On 04/25/2017 06:29 PM, Mike Rapoport wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> These patches are some kind of brief highlights of the changes to the
> userfaultfd pages.

Thanks for the patches. All merged. A few tweaks made,
and pushed to Git.

> The changes to userfaultfd functionality are also described at update to
> Documentation/vm/userfaultfd.txt [1].
>
> In general, there were three major additions:
> * hugetlbfs support
> * shmem support
> * non-page fault events
>
> I think we should add some details about using userfaultfd with different
> memory types, describe meaning of each feature bits and add some text about
> the new events.

Agreed.

> I haven't updated 'struct uffd_msg' yet, and I hesitate whether it's
> description belongs to userfaultfd.2 or ioctl_userfaultfd.2

My guess is userfaultfd.2. But, maybe I missed something.
What suggests to you that it could be ioctl_userfaultfd.2 instead?

> As for the userfaultfd.7 we've discussed earlier, I believe it would
> repeat Documentation/vm/userfaultfd.txt in way, so I'm not really sure it
> is required.

The thing about kernel Doc files is they are a lot less visible.
It would be best I think to have the user-space visible
API fully described in man pages...

Cheers,

Michael

> [1]
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5a02026d390ea1bb0c16a0e214e45613a3e3d885
>
> Mike Rapoport (5):
>   userfaultfd.2: describe memory types that can be used from 4.11
>   ioctl_userfaultfd.2: describe memory types that can be used from 4.11
>   ioctl_userfaultfd.2: update UFFDIO_API description
>   userfaultfd.2: add Linux container migration use-case to NOTES
>   usefaultfd.2: add brief description of "non-cooperative" mode

>  man2/userfaultfd.2       | 25 ++++++++++++++++++++++---

Michael Kerrisk