Jeff Garzik wrote:
Jamie Lokier wrote:
By durable, I mean that fsync() should actually commit writes to
physical stable storage,

Yes, it should.

I was surprised that fsync() doesn't do this already.  There was a lot
of effort put into block I/O write barriers during 2.5, so that
journalling filesystems can force correct write ordering, using disk
flush cache commands.

After all that effort, I was very surprised to notice that Linux 2.6.x
doesn't use that capability to ensure fsync() flushes the disk cache
onto stable storage.

It's surprising you are surprised, given that this [lame] fsync behavior has remaining consistently lame throughout Linux's history.

Maybe I am confused, but isn't this is what fsync() does today whenever barriers are enabled (the fsync() invalidates the drive's write cache).

ric