Hello all:
I have recently finish the learning of the H.264 codec and ready to write the driver. Although I have not get deep in syntax of H.264 but I think I just need to reuse and extended the VA-API H264 Parser from gstreamer. The whole plan in userspace is just injecting a parsing operation and set those v4l2 control in kernel before enqueue a buffer into OUTPUT, which would keep the most compatible with those stateful video IP(those with a firmware). But in order to do that, I can't avoid the management of DPB. I decided to moving the DPB management job from userspace in kernel. Also the video IP(On2 on rk3288 and the transition video IP on those future SoC than rk3288, rkv don't have this problem) would a special way to manage the DPB, which requests the same reference frame is storing in the same reference index in the runtime(actually it is its Motion Vector data appended in decoded YUV data would not be moved). I would suggest to keep those job in kernel, the userspace just to need update the list0 and list1 of DPB. DPB is self managed in kernel the userspace don't need to even dequeue the buffer from CAPTURE until the re-order is done. The kernel driver would also re-order the CAPTURE buffer into display order, and blocking the operation on CAPTURE until a buffer is ready to place in the very display order. If I don't do that, I have to get the buffer once it is decoded, and marking its result with the poc, I could only begin the processing of the next frame only after those thing are done. Which would effect the performance badly. That is what chromebook did(I hear that from the other staff, I didn't get invoke in chromium project yet). So I would suggest that doing the re-order job in kernel, and inform the the userspace the buffers are ready when the new I frame(key frame) is pushed into the video IP. Although moving those job into kernel would increase the loading, but I think it is worth to do that, but I don't know whether all those thought are correct and high performance(It is more important than API compatible especially for those 4K video). And I want to know more ideas about this topic. I would begin the writing the new driver after the coming culture new year vacation(I would go to the Europe), I wish we can decide the final mechanism before I begin this job.
--
Randy Li
The third produce department