On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Douglas Schilling Landgraf
<dougsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/2010 02:04 AM, hermann pitton wrote:
>> Hi Hans, both,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 09.03.2010, 08:48 +0100 schrieb Hans Verkuil:
>>> It's nice to see this new tree, that should be make it easier to develop
>>> utilities!
>>>
>>> After a quick check I noticed that the i2c-id.h header was copied from the
>>> kernel. This is not necessary. The only utility that includes this is
>>> v4l2-dbg
>>> and that one no longer needs it. Hans, can you remove this?
>>>
>>> The second question is whether anyone would object if alevt is moved from
>>> dvb-apps to v4l-utils? It is much more appropriate to have that tool in
>>> v4l-utils.
>>
>> i wonder that this stays such calm, hopefully a good sign.
>>
>> In fact alevt analog should come with almost every distribution, but the
>> former alevt-dvb, named now only alevt, well, might be ok in some
>> future, is enhanced for doing also dvb-t-s and hence there ATM.
>>
>>> Does anyone know of other unmaintained but useful tools that we might merge
>>> into v4l-utils? E.g. xawtv perhaps?
>>
>> If for xawtv could be some more care, ships also since close to ever
>> with alevtd, that would be fine, but I'm not sure we are talking about
>> tools anymore in such case, since xawtv4x, tvtime and mpeg4ip ;) for
>> example are also there and unmaintained.
>>

> I think would be nice to hear a word from Devin, which have been working in
> tvtime. Devin?

Sorry, I've been sick for the last couple of days and not actively on email.

I don't think it's a good idea to consolidate applications like xawtv
and tvtime into the v4l2-utils codebase.  The existing v4l2-utils is
nice because it's small and what the packages provides what it says it
does - v4l2 *utilities*.  I wouldn't consider full blown tv viewing
applications to be "utilities".

The apps in question are currently packaged by multiple distros today
as standalone packages.  Today distros can decide whether they want
the "bloat" associated with large GUI applications just to get the
benefits of a couple of command line utilities.  Bundling them
together makes that much harder (and would also result in a package
with lots of external dependencies on third party libraries).

Adding them into v4l2-utils doesn't really solve the real problem -
that there are very few people willing to put in the effort to
extend/improve these applications (something which, as Douglas pointed
out, I'm trying to improve in the case of tvtime).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com