On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mche...@redhat.com> wrote:
> I proposed the same fix sometime ago, when Gerd reported this issue
> for me. His feedback was that this partially fixed the issue, but
> he reported that he also needed to increase the set_power_mode delay
> from 5 to 50 ms in order to fully initialize the cx231xx hardware,
> as on the enclosed patch. It seems he tested with vanilla Fedora kernel.
>
> So, I suspect that HZ may be affecting this driver as well. As you know,
> if HZ is configured with 100, the minimum msleep() delay will be 10.
> so, instead of waiting for 5ms, it will wait for 10ms for the device
> to powerup.
>
> It would be great to configure HZ with 1000 and see the differences with
> and without Gerd's patch.
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro.

I don't dispute the possibility that there is some *other* bug that
effects users who have some other value for HZ, but neither I nor the
other use saw it.  Without this patch though, the device is broken for
*everybody*.

I would suggest checking in this patch, and separately the HZ issue
can be investigated.

I'll see if I can find some cycles today to reconfigure my kernel with
a different HZ.  Will also check the datasheets and see if Conexant
documented any sort of time for power ramping.  It's not uncommon for
such documentation to include a diagram showing timing for power up.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com