Well, I've made a bit more headway in troubleshooting the thing.

It looks like Concurrent is crashing before it sets up the serial ports.
I turned on all serial port debugging, and the only serial port activity
is dosemu's initialization and shutdown when I kill the process.  No
further serial port activity is being logged.

Here's the tail end of the log:

DISK: /var/lib/dosemu/cdos-only.img: Trying to read 9 sectors at T/S/H
15/0/1+0
at pos 142848
DISK read @1/15/0 (9) -> 0x98e00 OK.
CMOS: read cmos_subst = 0x00
CMOS: read addr 0x0e = 0x00
CMOS: read cmos_subst = 0x20
CMOS: read addr 0x10 = 0x20
INT1A: RTC time 16:39:28
INT1A: RTC date 20020202 (DOS format)
disk get parameters 0x80
Return for SIGNAL
Return for SIGNAL
Return for SIGNAL
Return for SIGNAL
...repeated...
RTC: cmos update 16:39:29
RTC: alarm check e=0x2
...more SIGNAL messages...
RTC: cmos update 16:39:30
RTC: alarm check e=0x2
...still more SIGNAL messages...

and so forth.

I'm afraid I don't understand dosemu's architecture quite enough to know
what these incessant signals mean.  How would I troubleshoot this?

        -P