On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Razvan Cosma wrote:

> Status update: I gave up on the direct port access, and configured CUPS.
> I can print just fine from Linux, and can also do a echo "sdcsc" > LPT1:
> in dosemu.
> But the application (which does a set output to printer or however that
> was called in dbase) freezes when trying to print. Listing the
> information on the screen works though. Is there anything special about
> the dbase/fox stuff?

you can try
xdosemu -D+piT -O
to figure out what is going on.

Printing via lpr works using a periodic flush of a buffer that is fed by
BIOS calls.

Direct parallel port access will only work if the DOS application does
just that.

What is not (yet?) implemented in DOSEMU is
DOS app (-> DOS) -> BIOS -> emulated parallel port -> whatever you like
or
DOS app (-> DOS) -> BIOS -> real parallel port
that is, the DOSEMU BIOS directly spools rather than via a port.

Bart