I have the Debian etch release installed in my P4 box.  My locale is
Canada, which prescribes the "ca", or Canadian keyboard.  So this
keyboard is the default in my box.

I also have dosemu 1.4.0 installed.  As all of the applications I run
from dosemu either require the us keyboard -- or provide their own
keyboard mapping, as does WordPerfect 5.1 -- I want to amend the
dosemu.conf file to make the us keyboard the system-wide default when
using dosemu.

I tried changing the $_layout setting from "auto" to "us", and also to
"load us", but I still got on opening dosemu my default "ca" keyboard.
Also, without really understanding what I was doing, I tried both those
$_layout settings with both the $_external_char_set and
$_internal_char_set set to "cp437"; but doing so made no difference either.

So, how do I set the dosemu default keyboard to us, or can I?

                        Regards,

                                Ken Heard