On 7/5/07, acostoya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I've being trying to set a 6 disk RAID-5 for a few days but it took only 3
disks (the other 3 gave Device busy error); in the meantime, an old server
went out of order so I have to use the incomplete host and it is now online
with user files.

The question is, is there a way to expand my RAID-5 from 3 disks to 6 disks
without losing data?.

Yes, it's possible. A quick google of 'linux expand raid 5' turned up
a bunch of hits, FYI.

Since you already have the 3 disks added to the array as spares, all
you should have to do is:

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=6

Watch /proc/mdstat for the expansion status.

After it is complete, you need to expand your filesystem to utilize
the new larger device.

Keep in mind that most people recommend raid 6 for larger raid 5
arrays since the likelyhood of multiple device failures goes up
significantly the more drives you have in your array. Unfortunately I
don't think it is possible to convert a raid 5 array to raid 6.

-Dave