I wrote:

Now it's failed in a different section and complains that it can't find /sbin/init. I'm at the (initramfs) prompt, which I don't ever recall seeing before. I can't mount /dev/md/root on any mount points ("invalid arguments" even though I'm not supplying any). I've checked /dev/md/root and it does work as expected when I try mounting it while in my emergency partition, and it does contain /sbin/init and the other files and mount points for /var, /boot, /tmp, etc.

So this leads me to the question of why /sbin isn't being seen. /sbin is on the device /dev/md/root, and /etc/fstab specifically mounts it at /. I would think /boot would look at an internal copy of /etc/fstab. Is this another side effect of using /boot on its own partition?

The answer: I managed to make a mistake in the configuration of grub, in /boot/grub/menu.lst. I'd changed root= from /dev/md/root to /dev/md/boot -- but I really need to include the *root* location, which does not change, vs. the boot location, which is not relevant.

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.pobox.com/~moshe
"The central tenet of Buddhism is not 'Every man for himself.'"