Marcin Krol wrote:
Tuesday 05 February 2008 21:12:32 Neil Brown napisaƂ(a):

% mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb1
mdadm: Couldn't open /dev/sdb1 for write - not zeroing
That's weird.
Why can't it open it?

Hell if I know. First time I see such a thing.
Maybe you aren't running as root (The '%' prompt is suspicious).

I am running as root, the "%" prompt is the obfuscation part (I have
configured bash to display IP as part of prompt).

Maybe the kernel has  been told to forget about the partitions of
/dev/sdb.

But fdisk/cfdisk has no problem whatsoever finding the partitions .

mdadm will sometimes tell it to do that, but only if you try to
assemble arrays out of whole components.

If that is the problem, then
   blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdb

I deleted LVM devices that were sitting on top of RAID and reinstalled mdadm.

% blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdf
BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy

% mdadm /dev/md2 --fail /dev/sdf1
mdadm: set /dev/sdf1 faulty in /dev/md2

% blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdf
BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy

% mdadm /dev/md2 --remove /dev/sdf1
mdadm: hot remove failed for /dev/sdf1: Device or resource busy

lsof /dev/sdf1 gives ZERO results.

What does this say:

        dmsetup table