Wolfgang Denk wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
I actually  think the kernel should operate with block sizes
like this and not wth 4 kiB blocks. It is the readahead and the elevator
algorithms that save us from randomly reading 4 kb a time.

Exactly, and nothing save a R-A-RW cycle if the write is a partial chunk.

Indeed kernel page size is an important factor in such optimizations.
But you have to keep in mind that this is mostly efficient for (very)
large strictly sequential I/O operations only -  actual  file  system
traffic may be *very* different.

That was actually what I meant by page size, that of the file system rather than the memory, ie. the "block size" typically used for writes. Or multiples thereof, obviously.
We implemented the option to select kernel page sizes of  4,  16,  64
and  256  kB for some PowerPC systems (440SPe, to be precise). A nice
graphics of the effect can be found here:

https://www.amcc.com/MyAMCC/retrieveDocument/PowerPC/440SPe/RAIDinLinux_PB_0529a.pdf

I started that online and pulled a download to print, very neat stuff. Thanks for the link.
Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still