Thursday 07 February 2008 22:35:45 Bill Davidsen napisaƂ(a):
> > As you may remember, I have configured udev to associate /dev/d_* devices
> > with
> > serial numbers (to keep them from changing depending on boot module loading
> > sequence).

> Why do you care?

Because /dev/sd* devices get swapped randomly depending on boot module insertion
sequence, as I explained earlier.

> If you are using UUID for all the arrays and mounts
> does this buy you anything?

This is exactly what is not clear for me: what is it that identifies
drive/partition as part of
the array? /dev/sd name? UUID as part of superblock? /dev/d_n?

If it's UUID I should be safe regardless of /dev/sd* designation? Yes or no?

> And more to the point, the first time a
> drive fails and you replace it, will it cause you a problem? Require
> maintaining the serial to name data manually?

That's not the problem. I just want my array to be intact.

> I miss the benefit of forcing this instead of just building the
> information at boot time and dropping it in a file.

I would prefer that, too - if it worked. I was getting both arrays messed
up randomly on boot. "messed up" in the sense of arrays being composed
of different /dev/sd devices.

> > And I made *damn* sure I zeroed all the superblocks before reassembling
> > the arrays. Yet it still shows the old partitions on those arrays!
> >
> As I noted before, you said you had these on whole devices before, did
> you zero the superblocks on the whole devices or the partitions? From
> what I read, it was the partitions.

I tried it both ways actually (rebuilt arrays a few times, just udev didn't want
to associate WD-serialnumber-part1 as /dev/d_1p1 as it was told, it still
claimed
it was /dev/d_1).

Regards,
Marcin Krol