Marcin Krol wrote:
Thursday 07 February 2008 22:35:45 Bill Davidsen napisaƂ(a):
As you may remember, I have configured udev to associate /dev/d_* devices with
serial numbers (to keep them from changing depending on boot module loading sequence).

Why do you care?

Because /dev/sd* devices get swapped randomly depending on boot module insertion
sequence, as I explained earlier.

So there's no functional problem, just cosmetic?
If you are using UUID for all the arrays and mounts does this buy you anything?

This is exactly what is not clear for me: what is it that identifies drive/partition as part of the array? /dev/sd name? UUID as part of superblock? /dev/d_n?

If it's UUID I should be safe regardless of /dev/sd* designation? Yes or no?

Yes, absolutely.
And more to the point, the first time a drive fails and you replace it, will it cause you a problem? Require maintaining the serial to name data manually?

That's not the problem. I just want my array to be intact.

I miss the benefit of forcing this instead of just building the information at boot time and dropping it in a file.

I would prefer that, too - if it worked. I was getting both arrays messed up randomly on boot. "messed up" in the sense of arrays being composed
of different /dev/sd devices.

Different devices? Or just different names for the same devices? I assume just the names change, and I still don't see why you care... subtle beyond my understanding.
And I made *damn* sure I zeroed all the superblocks before reassembling the arrays. Yet it still shows the old partitions on those arrays!
As I noted before, you said you had these on whole devices before, did you zero the superblocks on the whole devices or the partitions? From what I read, it was the partitions.

I tried it both ways actually (rebuilt arrays a few times, just udev didn't want
to associate WD-serialnumber-part1 as /dev/d_1p1 as it was told, it still
claimed
it was /dev/d_1).

I'm not talking about building the array, but zeroing the superblocks. Did you use the partition name, /dev/sdb1, when you ran mdadm with "zero-super" or did you zero the whole device, /dev/sdb, which is what you were using when you first built the array with whole devices. If you didn't zero the superblock for the whole device it may explain why a superblock is still found.

--
Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still