On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:05:13AM +0000, David Greaves wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>
> > The list description at
> > http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-raid
> > does list af FAQ, http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/
> Yes, that should be amended. Drop them a line about the FAQ too

I will.

> > So our FAQ info is pretty out of date. I think it would be nice to have
> > a wiki like we have for the Howto. This would mean that we have much
> > better means to let new people make their mark, and avoid the problem
> > that we have today with really outdated info.
>
> There seems to be no point in having separate wikis for the FAQ and HOWTO
> elements of documentation. Especially since a lot of FAQs are "How do I"... by
> definition the answer is a HOWTO.
>
> > So can we put up a wiki somewhere for this, or should we just extend the
> > wiki howto pages to also include a faq section?
> So just extend the existing wiki.

OK, so let's have a combined howto and faq.

I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?

And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
for the FAQ.

And then I would like a clearer statement on the relation between the
linux-raid mailing list and the pages, right in the top of the main page.

> I set the wiki up at osdl to ensure that if a bus hit me then Neil or others
> would have a rational and responsive organisation to go to to change
> ownership.
>
> I've been writing to some of the other FAQ/Doc organisations sporadically for
> over a year now and had no response from any of them. It's a very poor aspect
> of
> OSS...

Looks like a good move.

I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?

Best regards
Keld