> The box presents 48 drives, split across 6 SATA controllers.
> So disks sda-sdh are on one controller, etc. In our
> configuration, I run a RAID5 MD array for each controller,
> then run LVM on top of these to form one large VolGroup.

I might be missing something here, and I realise you'd lose 8 drives to
redundancy rather than 6, but wouldn't it have been better to have 8
arrays of 6 drives, each array using a single drive from each
controller?  That way a single controller failure (assuming no other HD
failures) wouldn't actually take any array down?  I do realise that 2
controller failures at the same time would lose everything.

Steve.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
18/02/2008 18:49