On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Carlos Carvalho wrote:

Justin Piszcz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote on 23 February 2008 10:44:

>On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

>>> Your /dev/md3 is a swap, right?
>>> If it's swap, it's quite common to see mismatches here.  I don't know
>>> why, and I don't think it's correct (there should be a bug somewhere).
>>> If it's not swap, there should be no mismatches, UNLESS you initially
>>> built your array with --assume-clean.
>>> In any case it's good to understand where those mismatches comes from
>>> in the first place.
>>>
>>> As of the difference (or, rather, lack thereof) of the mismatched
>>> blocks after check and repair - that's exactly what expected.  Check
>>> found 936 mismatches, and repair corrected exactly the same amount
>>> of them.  I.e., if you run check again after repair, you should see
>>> 0 mismatches.
>>>
>>> /mjt
>>>

>> My /dev/md3 is my main RAID 5 partition.  Even after repair, it showed 936, I
>> will re-run repair.  Also, I did not build my array with --assume-clean and I
>> run my check > array once a week.

The only situation where there could be mismatches on a clean array is
if you created it with --assume-clean. After a repair, a check should
give zero mismatches, without reboot.

Of course I'm supposing your hardware is working without glitches...

>After a reboot & check, it is back to 0-- interesting..

Looks like a bug... Which kernel version?

Kernel 2.6.24.2 I've seen it on different occasions, for this last time though it may have been due to a power outage that lasted > 2hours and obviously the UPS did not hold up that long.

Will keep an eye on this to see if any additional mismatches show up.

Justin.