On Monday 25 February 2008 15:02:31 Justin Piszcz wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Dexter Filmore wrote:
Currently my array consists of four Samsung Spinpoint sATA drives, I'm
about to enlarge to 6 drive.
As of now they sit on an Sil3114 controller via PCI, hence there's a
bottleneck, can't squeeze more than 15-30 megs write speed (rather 15
today as the xfs partitions on it are brim full and started
fragmenting).

Now, I'd like to go for a AMD board with 6 sATA channels connected via
PCIe - can someone recomend a board here? Preferrably AMD 690 based so
I won't need a video card or similar.

Dex

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de
-

That's always the question, which mobo?  I went Intel as many of their
chipsets (965, p35, x38) have 6 SATA, I am sure AMD have some as well
though, what I bought awhile back was a 6 port sata w/ 3 pci-e x1 and 1
pci-e x16.  Then you buy the 2 port sata cards (x1) and plugin your
drives.

Intel means big bucks since I'd need an intel cpu, too. Cheapest lga775
would be around 90 euros where I get a midrange amd x2 at 50-60.

Promise also came out with a 4 port PCI-e x1 card but I have not tried
it, seen any reviews for it and do not know if it is even supported in
linux.

Now *that's* Promis-ing (huh huh) - happen to know the model name?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102117
Type     SATA / SAS

Full blown raid 50 controller. A tad overkill-ish for softraid.
I just came across this one:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a254413.html

One would have to have a board featuring pcie 4x or 1x mechanically open at
the end.
Then again, there's this board:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a244789.html

If that controller runs in Linux those two would make a nice combo. Just saw
Adaptec provides open src drivers for Linux, so chances are it's included or
at least scheduled.

Yeah I heard there are major problems with those (adaptec boards), that is why I went with the open source 2 port sata pci-e cards, work like a charm.

Justin.