On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Steve Bangert wrote:

> > Let's be clear.  There's no point looking at log messages for a working
> > printer; the only thing that might help is log messages for when the
>
> All of the log messages I've posted so far _are_ from a non-working
> printer

Okay, good.  It wasn't clear from what you wrote earlier.

> I suspect that if there's no traffic on the bus then there are no errors
> being printed to the logs, that's why this is so difficult to resolve
> and that why this bug has been around since 2.4.0 and yes it's
> frustrating.
>
> take note of these two lines in the system logs:
>
> 740;CLS:PRINTER;DES:EPSON Stylus COLOR 740;"
> lp: driver loaded but no devices found
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> that must mean something!

I think that message comes from a different driver.  Notice that it says
"lp:", not "usblp:".

> > Also, if you do have a usbmon trace for a situation where the printer
> > wasn't working, seeing it might help.
> >
> usbmon trace attached from a non-working printer

Hmmm...  Along with traffic to your other devices, it shows a whole lot of
data being sent to the printer and acknowledged.  All the lines like:

daa3b280 6278909 S Bo:006:01 -115 8192 = 000ffff0 0fffc000 fffff0fe 00070ffc
03ffc000 3ffffd00 0703ffff 0000fffc

show 8192 bytes being sent (looks like some sort of bitmap data), and the
lines like:

daa3b280 6399835 C Bo:006:01 0 8192 >

show that the data was received correctly (error code is 0).

The only other interesting part is right before the data was sent:

daa3b200 5540696 S Bi:006:02 -115 8192 <
d357fb00 5540774 S Ci:006:00 s a1 01 0000 0000 0001 1 <
daa3b200 5541970 C Bi:006:02 0 0
d357fb00 5541975 C Ci:006:00 0 1 = 18

That shows the driver trying to read status data from the printer and
getting back 0 bytes, and it also shows a control message of the same sort
as in your system log:

drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp_control_msg: rq: 0x01 dir: 1 recip: 1 value: 0
idx: 0 len: 0x1 result: 1

This is another status request, and the status value was 0x18.  If I'm
reading the source code correctly, that means the printer was out of
paper. It should have shown up in the system log as an "out of paper"
message.  Are you sure nothing like that appeared in the log at the time
you started the write?  Assuming the printer wasn't really out of paper,
maybe this indicates there's something wrong with its paper-level sensor.

Have you tried attaching the printer to a different computer or using a
different operating system?