Hi Folks,

I have a Maxtor OneTouch external USB hard disk which was working fine
(this requires explanation) on my Fedora CORE 2 system running
the 2.6.5-1.358 kernel.  By fine I mean that the disk and a memory
stick worked when plugged into one of the USB hubs.  They consistently
failed on two other hubs.

I upgraded to kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2 and then my USB stick worked on
all hubs, however, although the disk is visible on all hubs and I/O
can be done to it, the throughput is very *very* bad.

I also tried updating the kernel to 2.6.8-1.521, but the behaviour was
the same as on the 2.6.7 kernel.

On the 2.6.5 kernel the disk was correctly recognized as a USB2.0 device,
however on the 2.6.[78] kernels I always get the message:

  usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using address 5
  usb 2-1: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub

Has anyone an idea what might be wrong?

Please let me know what in the way of additional information might
be useful.

cheers,

Robert Urban