On Monday 14 June 2010, you wrote:
> On Mon 14 Jun 2010 11:00:18 NZST +1200, Ross Drummond wrote:
> > Calling all TeXperts.
> >
> > How do I enclose text within square brackets?
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> Some [text enclosed in brackets] works just fine.
> \end{document}
>
> Yawn.
>
> Volker

I set up a test file as above and it behaved as expected.

I noticed that the errors produced from the original file waffled on about
line errors. Trying this and that to see what would work I preceded the text
in brackets with the \sloppy line break command and all was well.

Am I fully conversant with what the problem was and how my solution fixed it?
- Nope.

Am I going to take the time and trouble to investigate? - Nah.

Am I going to declare victory and move on? - Youbettcha.

Cheers Ross Drummond