On 15 June 2010 07:09, chris <che...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 01:31 +1200, MafiaGeek wrote:
> > Get a adsl connection with a switch/router. you will find Linux so much
> > easier. as we all know win modems are pain to get working.

Telstra Cable is technically even better.

> > On 14/06/2010 11:53 p.m., max podolian wrote:
> > > Hello, everyone.
> > > I have problem with establishing dial-up connection on Ubuntu 10.04.
> > > My ISP is Kiwi Online.
> > > I use SLMODEMD_gcc4.4_alsa1.0.20 as driver and wvdial to dial. Here is
> > > wvdial.conf:
> > >
> > > [Dialer Defaults]
> > > Init1 = ATZ
> > > Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0 +MS=34
> > > Modem Type = Analog Modem
> > > Baud = 460800
> > > New PPPD = yes
> > > Modem = /dev/ttySL0
>
> If you are using the internal winmodem with that driver, it is
> normally /dev/modem  or on one machine I used it was /dev/ttyS0
> Hope this helps

/dev/ttySL0 is correct for that driver.
Check that you have the country code configured correctly.

> I gave up on winmodems years ago, and use an old dynalink 56k external,
> with a usb to serial connector set up as  /dev/ttyUSB0

Read this page, and the outgoing links, carefully:-

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

In particular download the scanModem script, decompress it, and run it
( as root ).

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

It generates a number of very helpful reports in the Modem sub-directory.

While what others are saying about Winmodems is substantially true, it
is usually possible, given enough time and effort, to get most of the
more recent ones to go under Linux. You might also find this page
useful.

http://www.linuxant.com/

--
Sincerely etc.