... cant linux get it's sound sorted out properly?

I've lost mine again... I know it works as I get a 'click' when a new
window opens. But playing anything at all - forget it.

System says everything's fine.
 Gnome sound preferences widget can see both the analog stereo and the
usb headset, and is allegedly outputting, at volume 100% to both.
  alsamixer has all sane values next to it.

Just no output on either device. Can anyone point me to a decent, up to
date ( this is ubuntu 9.10 ) troubleshooting guide.

Or start a project to provide a sane alternative to alsa... (:

Cheers,

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway <st...@greengecko.co.nz>