On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 11:57 +1200, chris wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 11:45 +1200, Craig Falconer wrote:
> > chris wrote, On 06/23/2010 07:52 PM:
> > >    As I needed to keep SWMBO happy I uncoupled the box from my KVM switch
> > > and set it up with the Viewsonic as a standalone system.
> > > Bingo, it picked up the monitor and the edid information and immediately
> <snip>
> > switch.   Novaview and Rextron ones work well.
> >
> > A four port PS2 switch with OSD is about $200+
> > A four port USB switch with OSD is about $220+
> > 2 port ones are available, but they don't do OSD or chaining.
> <snip>
> > completely - probably quite similar costs.
> >

> Hi Craig,
> what I actually did, was follow an x-org template sent by Aaron (I
> think)
> and add the preferred mode into that, so it is now working fine through
> the switch.
> Just for your info, there were two issues.  One was a flaky hard drive
> which I have consigned >null
> The other the Kvm switch.
> Also on the ubuntu forum =technical support, a number of heads have
> popped up with the same kvm issue, or looking for solutions.
>
> I need to read man xorg and work out how to include a driver section to
> finish the whole thing off.
> However for now working and nearly completely resolved.
> And SWMBO is happy.
> On a personal note, how is the land rover?
> We are still wandering around the landscape
> Cheers Chris Thomas

A final solution is to just use remote X and a headless box. I know that
10.04 seems to have destroyed that option for some reason...

X :1 -query <remote ip>

then Ctrl-Alt-F8 and ..F7 to swap displays was so simple in a pure *nix
environment.

vnc is also another alternative. I do have a KVM switch lying around,
but it's analog...

Cheers,

Steve

--