On 26/06/10 4:50 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Don Robertson<d...@robertson.net.nz>  wrote:
On 16/06/10 09:43, Steve Holdoway wrote:
Just no output on either device. Can anyone point me to a decent, up to
date ( this is ubuntu 9.10 ) troubleshooting guide.

I was having problems with audio on a Kubuntu system updated to 9.10 with
pulse audio installed. I installed 10.4 to clean up all the things I had -
um, fixed, and have not had a problem with audio since.

I do have some pulse audio client stuff and a VLC plugin installed - but not
the server stuff.
ahh the ubuntu solution, sounds a bit like the windows solution.
Just to add to the randomness, I had a new box with a fresh install of 10.04 a few days ago (though an existing /home) that had sound working following install, stopped working as a result of a round or 2 of apt-get updrades, and the fix included removing pulseaudio totally (and I believe it is now using an alsa-something). Took an hour out of the day and a few trial reboots following various google leads - this being all I can suggest for a "troubleshooting guide" that helped me today.

Conversely sound on a different desktop that has been through (otherwise successfully) a few kubuntu versions will randomly start (if it was broked) or stop (if it was working) following a new version. The fix tends to involve a reinstall of pulseaudio even if synaptic says it is already. And flash sound may or may not work just because sound generally does, again it's a bit random when it might break (and not necessarily following a new version).

Sorry to be not posting a useful email, this is just highlighting what appears to be the main remaining headache in reliably getting a general desktop install/upgrade to "just work".

Cheers,
Roger