From: Roger Searle <ro...@stepahead.org.nz>
Subject: connecting to wrong remote desktop
To: "CLUG" <linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 10:25 AM

Hi, I have a puzzling situation with connecting to a remote desktop on a  local
network.  3 (k)ubuntu boxes - mercury (lucid - a desktop machine), jupiter
(8.04.4 LTS) and neptune (a virtual machine under VMWare Server 2 running on
jupiter).

Name resolution is via an IPCop box static lease and hosts entries.  Boxes can
be pinged by name, I can ssh to them and confirm it's hostname, and that mac
address of the ethernet card and IP address match with what IPCop shows.

Desktop sharing is turned on on both jupiter and neptune.

Occasionally I need to view jupiter's desktop, from mercury all attempts to
establish a vnc connection via either KRDC or Remote Desktop Viewer, by name or
by IP address, give me neptune's desktop.

My guess remains as it being some vmware weirdness, but I'm out of specific
ideas and my googling hasn't found anything useful beyond ssh, hostnames etc as
per the above, can anyone suggest steps to resolve this?

Cheers,
Roger