On Tuesday 04 December 2001 03:39 pm, Post, Mark K wrote:
> You're right, the "times," "times new roman," "Helvetica," "courier," and
> "courier new" look just fine online.  But what's really strange is that
> when the PDF file hits real paper, _all_ of the fonts look _great_.  Even
> if I tell the printer driver to send the fonts to the printer as bitmaps,
> the text looks poor online.  Again, on paper it looks perfect.  Strange.
>
> Mark Post

I agree with David's previous post on this thread, but here's an additional
factor. For whatever reason, I have found that certain PDFs render better with
the "acroread" tool from Adobe than with "xpdf". I don't know why, but perhaps
the Adobe reader is smarter about font scaling. In any case, have you tried
switching viewers on Linux?

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them