> Basically you are very correct David in your
> statements. Except on one. The Linotype machines, L300, and L500, and
> their relatives, and descendants, are actually output devices,

Correct.

> and
> predate Linux and actual desktop publishing by about three years. That
> from having worked with one, on a midrange based system.

Umm, this is personal experience talking. Sherman, set up the Wayback
Machine....8-)

The Linotype brand is much older than that, having been created in the
late 1930s as a slug casting system for newsprint and professional press
job set up that cast molten lead into full lines of type as lead "slugs"
(each representing a line of text, and thus the name "line-o-type") that
were fitted into a page frame and used in offset and pressure-backed
printing presses. The Linotype (note the missing e) PostScript front
ends were released 8 months following the public release of Adobe
PostScript version 1, replacing an earlier proprietary Linotype page
description language and competing with the Xerox Courier network
printing protocol.

The major reason I put the distinction in my note is that Linotype
devices (and other professional presses) generally operate at 2400 dpi
resolution (about 4 times the resolution of the typical Canon-based
desktop laser printer) and bitmaps for 600 dpi printers look LOUSY on
that type of device.  The stroke-based character font definitions are
interpreted by the PostScript interpreter in the press device, and thus
are rendered at full device resolution, producing significantly better
output.

I've used the actual lead-slug-producing kind. They're fun. Loud, clanky
machinery, a bazillion motors moving rods and gears, molten metal, plus
cryptic commands and having to type like you're raising a ten pound
weight with your fingers all in one lovely device.  It's a device that
only an engineer could love, and it's a beauty in a gross
electro-mechanical sense...

-- db