David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
After someone else wrote:
>> Basically you are very correct David in your
>> statements. Except on one. The Linotype machines, L300, and L500, and
>> their relatives, and descendants, are actually output devices,
>
>Correct.

(snip discussion of metal slug devices)

>The major reason I put the distinction in my note is that Linotype
>devices (and other professional presses) generally operate at 2400 dpi
>resolution (about 4 times the resolution of the typical Canon-based
>desktop laser printer) and bitmaps for 600 dpi printers look LOUSY on
>that type of device.  The stroke-based character font definitions are
>interpreted by the PostScript interpreter in the press device, and thus
>are rendered at full device resolution, producing significantly better
>output.

The L300 is 2540dpi and will also run at 1270dpi. (Hint: metric units.)

I once did TeX postscript output for this machine, and generated the
1270dpi *.pk files with Metafont.  The postscript files were about
500kB/page.  Metafont has parameters that you adjust differently for
xerographic printers than for phototypesetters.  I did print some
of the 1270dpi files on a 300dpi printer, and the difference was
noticable.

-- glen