> Is it possible to do an insmod with devno_portno_pairs= as a parameter with
> the correct device number and port number?  How can it be backed off if the
> new device is not recognized?

Is your new OSA also LCS or is it QDIO?  If it is lcs I would recommned to
put the new "device,port" behind the old one so that you get an additional eth1
and you can 'ifconfig eth1' manually or do it with YaST.
The alternative is to start the kernel with ramdisk again to try your new network
devices, and if it works you 'insmod' the dasd driver, mount your existing disks
and modify the configuration files to make your real system use the new device.

For QDIO you would load other drivers, namely qdio.o and qeth.o so doing
that while still working with the old one is even simpler.

Do consider to upgrade, especially if you start using QDIO. At least get the
latest version of the network drivers for your level of kernel.

Rob