From: "Corrie Potter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a CSS based dynamic menu that drops down and there is a flash
movie that is right under the menu. The flash movie is set to
transparent and the menu pops down over the flash menu in all
browsers correctly except in Safari. In Safari the menu displays over
the flash movie but when you go over the top of sub menu items they
drop behind the flash movie for some reason. Is there anyone out
there that can help me? I really appreciate it!

It's a Safari bug. Last year, a Macromedia engineer filed a bug report with Apple. It has not been acted upon. The only workarounds are to either:

1. Get rid of Flash (usually not a bad idea :-)
2. Use a script to hide or replace the Flash when the submenus are being shown.
3. Eliminate all hover behaviors for the submenus.

You can also write to Apple and report the issue. I imagine if enough people report it, they might decide to fix it. It seems tied to the techniques that Safari uses to create the illusion of speed. Mozilla uses similar tricks, but with a bit more aplomb :-)

--
Al Sparber
PVII

"Designing with CSS is sometimes like barreling down a crumbling mountain road at 90 miles per hour secure in the knowledge that repairs are scheduled for next Tuesday".