From: Ed Kelly
To: Liveaboard@liveaboardnow.org
Sent: 11/22/2008 6:41:21 PM
Subject: [Liveaboard] Cruising Report - Angel Louise - Thanksgiving question

Sue and I are cruising on Angel Louise going South on the ICW
now south of Melbourne, FL. We are headed for the
South Caribbean eventually.  Only about 2000 miles
to go!.

Norm  -  We look forward with great pleasure to reports of your adventures.

We ended up anchoring tonight at Rocky Point, FL.
You can see our anchoring spot and zoom in on the
Satellite View from this link to Googled Maps:
http://tinyurl.com/RockyPointFL

We had been at Fernandina Beach, FL the day before
yesterday and went outside with the intent of going down
to St Augustine on the outside -- but we found it so nice
near the coast we just stayed out all day and all
night and went down to the inlet at Cape Canaveral.

We almost did not do the offshore due to warnings for
small craft and waves up to 6 foot.  Fortunately we found
the conditions near shore, despite the 20 mph winds, to
be great and are happy we kept going and weren't
deterred by the forecast.

Norm  -  We also had that sort of experience many times.  Although the NOAA WX
broadcasts are most often correct, sometimes they are way off.  As is often
said: "The prudent navigator will use ALL the means at his disposal to
ascertain his position." (or the upcoming weather).

Another of my favorites is:  "The superior seaman will use his superior
judgement to avoid having to use his superior skills."

After a night a Cocoa Beach, we tried Sam's location on
the Eau Gallie River, but were not satisfied with our anchor
set and ended up going the rest of the afternoon down
to little islands just off the ICW.

Norm  -  I am happy to hear you did not stop in this area of evil.  The Eau
Gallie anchorage is where the Canadian cruiser was told by one cop that no
anchor light was needed, and subsequently issued a citation by another cop for
not displaying an anchor light.

I had one question:
Up near the Georgia-Florida border at St Mary's they have a
huge Thanksgiving celebration for cruisers.  Are there any
in the Southern part of Florida?

Thanks,
Ed

Ed Kelly (& Sue Kelly)
USSV Angel Louise - a Catalac catamaran
Our Verizon Cell Phone AREA (Five-one-Five) #490-2004
Email:  EdKelly ("at" symbol) netins.net