On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:03:12 +0200
Jono Bacon <j...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> One of the ways in which many people have been able to experience Ubuntu
> is via Canonical's ShipIt (http://shipit.ubuntu.com/) program, which has
> shipped millions of CDs to new users. This has provided a valuable
> opportunity for new users to try Ubuntu and for our community teams to
> obtain CDs as part of their advocacy efforts.
>
> Due to the sheer growth of Ubuntu, we are making a few changes to ShipIt
> which I wanted to ensure I share with you. For the details, I am going
> to turn the mic over to everyone's favorite Canonical COO, Jane Silber
> who updated us on the Canonical blog (http://blog.canonical.com/?p=264):
- --snip--

I remember way back when.. All the way back when I could order a box of
pressed CD's to hand out. I converted a whopping <20 users. I would get
both KDE and Gnome for every release. The problem was that I had was I
never got rid of them all. I never really had any issues until the
shipments were pretty much cut to a single cd/user. After that I got
used to the idea of burning a cd and handing it out.

Now this comes along and when I first read the message I thought to
myself; this isn't really a change. After I read the details further I
started thinking that this sounds like a good idea. Ubuntu is already
the most giving distribution. You don't even have to have a significant
online presence to gain membership. We're given a lot. What other
distribution can you use to get a membership to LWN? We get more than
just that.

We also promote an extremely diverse range of users with our LoCo's. We
have boys/girls that haven't reached teens all the way to men/women in
their 80's. Perhaps beyond.

What does this mean? It means that Ubuntu is reaching a very very large
market. Canonical is the company that owns Ubuntu and funds all Ubuntu
operations (we all know this).

Think about it this way; if you were single handedly responsible for
buying CD's, labeling them, packaging them, then shipping them to every
person in your country.. could you afford it? Canonical isn't shipping
them to just your country, they're shipping them to every country on
every continent.

The idea of getting one cd for every release, I like that idea. I was
doing it but I lost a lot of CD's and I don't have them. To be
perfectly honest, I don't see any reason not to purchase these from the
shop.

I know I've had issues in the Ubuntu community. I've reduced where I
offer support due to these issues. I've seen it impact other areas as
well, not just for me. Regardless of this, I've never seen Shuttleworth
just take a decision like this lightly. Even the desktop background we
all experience isn't a decision he'd take without careful
consideration. Personally, I'd like to see financial records to see
just how much money does go to these "little" extras they provide.

On a side note; is it possible for me to buy a nice pressed CD for each
release since 5.04?

To be perfectly honest, I'm wondering if it would be possible to just
get the CD sleeves and press the CD's myself.

I think many users are surprised ShipIt has survived for so long.
Taking steps to prevent it's exhaustion is probably a very good idea.
Perhaps the have's should help out the have-not's a little more. :)

- --
Michael Lustfield
Kalliki Software

Network and Systems Administrator