> I'm currently administering a Java app running on WebLogic 8.1.  The app
> uses log4j to handle logging events and I have setup a few socket
> appenders to monitor classes important in our day-to-day operations.
> Chainsaw has been great for staying on top of critical errors real-time
> instead of the traditional tail/grep/less method.  While speaking with a
> vendor rep, I was informed that running Chainsaw could be detrimental to
> a production system.  The vendor's belief is that a hang in the Chainsaw
> client could cause WebLogic to hang.  I was just curious if there's any
> validity to such a claim?

It is potentially possible that a hang in a Chainsaw client could prevent
the server thread that is doing the appending from continuing, which is why
you could consider wrapping the SocketAppender or SocketHubAppender in a
AsyncAppender.  Shutting down Chainsaw or killing it would free that thread
immediately though.

I've never had any problems monitoring a production box with Chainsaw.
Under seriously loaded systems the cost of sending the data over the socket
could add some delays, but then when it's under load, you're probably
interested in what's going on anyway.... The penalty, like the normal cost
of any logging, is often worth the price.

This is all IMHO of course.  YMMV.

Paul Smith