On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 03:07:43PM -0800, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 03:12:31PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> > Per http://www.ltsp.org/~sbalneav/LTSPManual.html#updating-chroot, the
> > instructions for updating the chroot on a Debian system are:
> >
> > sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
> > sudo apt-get update  (I don't think sudo is needed, though, since you are
> > chrooting as the root user)
> > sudo mount -t proc /proc /proc  (again, sudo is not needed)
> > sudo apt-get upgrade  (same here)
> > exit
>
> indeed. as mentioned by ogra, ditch the extra calls to sudo, or call
> 'sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386' with every command.
>
> > Is it necessary to umount /proc before exiting, or is that not required?
>
> i'd definitely recommend unmounting it, yes.
>
> also, be sure when you run apt-get upgrade, that the environment variable
> LTSP_HANDLE_DAEMONS=false is set, otherwise, any upgraded daemons will start
> inside the chroot.
>
> so, just for completeness, i'll add a few more important steps:
>
>   sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
>   # alternately:
>   # su -c 'chroot /opt/ltsp/i386'
>
>   # from here on out, you're in the chroot as root
>   mount -t proc /proc /proc
>
>   # make sure daemons don't start
>   export LTSP_HANDLE_DAEMONS=false
>
>   # update package lists
>   apt-get update
>
>   # install available package updates
>   apt-get upgrade
>   # alternately:
>   # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
>   # update the ltsp network boot configuration files if needed
>   /usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels
>
>   # unmount proc, as it really shouldn't be there.
>   umount /proc
>
>   # exit the chroot
>   exit
>
>   # update the server's /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/
>   ltsp-update-kernels
>
> i'll write up some wrapper scripts to handle this stuff, as there some issues
> with the above steps. proc should probably only be mounted and umounted if not
> already mounted, for example.

Cool, thanks everyone for your answers.

What's the proper method for me to help revise the documentation?  I see a note
on the wiki page about using an XML editor.  I've never used one -- could
someone recommend one?

Maybe I should wait until after Vagrant's helper scripts are done before I
revise the docs...

-Rob