Actually there is another solution to this. You’ll probably all think that I am
crazy, but I’ll suggest it anyway since it is used by some guitar makers when
crafting the nut, and might be applicable to lutes.

On my classical guitar (yes, I confess that I do actually play one
occasionally...) I find that the biggest tuning ‘problem’ is the 3rd (thickest
nylon) string. It’s the one that tends to be a little sharp. You get the
instrument perfectly in tune for a C major chord only to find that the G sharp
of an E major chord is too sharp, and so on as you go up the 3rd string.

I solved the problem by putting a small tastino about 1/8th inch in front of
the nut. In fact its a bit of a toothpick wedged under the string. What is does
is shorten the distance from the nut to the frets, so that all the fretted
notes will be flattened slightly (compared to the other strings).

On a lute with double courses, you could do the same for the string (whether it
be the fundamental or the octave) which goes sharper that the other.

Best

Miles