Sent: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:33 PM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: basses in octaves

  Guys,
  This discussion is not about whether one should use pythagorean or
  equal temperament, it is about two strings in octavbles on the same
  course not being in tune together, by the time I've reached 5th fret,
  and the dissonance increases as I go beyond 5th fret.  the only change
  I have done on both my  G lutes, (57 cm  and 60 cm tuned in 440hz), is
  to replace the wound string with CD loaded.   The calculation was at 3
  Kg tension for the fundamental CD loaded on the 5th course, and I ended
  up with a 115 CD, as neither 110 nor 112 was available, and frankly we
  are still eyeballing it since I have had no clear answer as to what the
  real tension was on those strings is.   My octave remained as is, 5.0
  gut, hence 2.5 kg.. (same gauge as my 2nd course)  I guess I could try
  a thicker octave ( if I can find the right gauge in my SOFRACOB supply
  of strings..)
  as for the 6th course I have the same problem
  I have used SOFRACOB gut for 30 + years in combination with wound
  basses and never had the problem, I recently switched to nylgut and
  wound with no problem either, only when I put on the CD did I start
  having the problem.
  I suspect as mentioned before, that the real culprit is the elasticity
  of the CD and that I have not stretched it enough, I do agree that when
  I tune it up, it requires much more turning of the peg, as it doesn't
  instantly respond upwards. although stretching the string onto the peg
  prior to tuning is a bit of a challenge..   I will try turning it
  around to get it to stretch the other way as well, perhaps this will
  even out the string on its entire length. As I recall also from the
  numerous conversations about the CD, the recommendation was to go with
  a higher tension in order to have a less bouncy and rubber band effect.
  Mimmo, I do realize that this is a work in progress, and I do
  appreciate your offer to replace the strings, but before we do this I
  think the exact tension of the new strings should be calculated, and
  also compare the amount of stretch to standard nylgut or gut.   The
  feedback I sent is not a criticism in any way on your work, I hope you
  understand that,  but rather trying to understand what is happening and
  see how we can remedy the situation.   Overall I find the strings
  interesting in sound, and I do like them more than wound strings.
     As I mentioned, I will be in Italy this summer near your area, so If
  you are in town I would really like to see you.   I will not have my
  lute with me however, as it is inconvenient to take on the plane and I
  will be travelling around a lot and not have time to play.
  regards
  Bruno Cognyl-Fournier
  Montreal, Quebec