To me it's all perfectly clear short hand to indicate musical
   intentions: hold the B-flat till the A-flat. If the engraver was over
   enthusiastic with the angle of his lines, it only tells us he didn't
   want close-to horizontal lines hat would create 7-line tablature. My
   personal solution is usually wavy lines, but then again, that might be
   a bother when engraving on a copper plate. I never tried.

   Don't think too digital when dealing with handwritten/engraved
   facsimiles, just think musical.

   David

   On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 at 23:14, Rainer <[1]rads.bera_g...@t-online.de>
   wrote:

     The situation in bar 7 is much worse :)
     Rainer
     On 12.03.2017 11:10, Rainer wrote:
     > In the first prelude of the first book of Le Secret des Muses
     there is a very strange hold line in bar 15

     > For those who do not have a digital facsimile, have a look at the
     links at

     > [2]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/links/Digital-Facsimiles.html
     >
     > The line starts at a non-existing bass note.
     >
     > What does/could this mean?
     >
     > 1) It could mean that the G on course 6 of the first chord should
     sound throughout the whole measure.

     > 2) The G on the 4th course in of the first chord should sound
     throughout the whole measure.

     > 3) there is a note (an e on the 6th course?) missing in the 7th
     "chord".

     > Option 1) makes no sense, but sometimes (very few cases) there are
     lines in Vallet starting at an un-stopped string.

     > Option 2) makes musical sense. The engraver had a blackout :)
     >
     > Option 3 is the best explanation for the otherwise meaningless
     line, but adding a note here can hardly be justified.

   --

   David van Ooijen