Philipo Thomas Howard pr[a]edicatorium etc...
In obsequi[i] pignus addictis[s]imus servus Jacobus de Rubeis.

To Philip Thomas Howard …
as pledge of obedience, [your] most obliged servant Jacobus de Rubeis.

The upper line seems a little unclear to me. "To Philip Thomas Howard" would
actually be " Philipo Thomae". Secondly, praedicatorium is a study (room). I
was wondering, as Philip Howard had joined the Dominican Order in 1645, if
"predicatorium etc" was rather meant to read predicatorum ord, "of the
Dominican Order".

Mathias

> It appears at the bottom of an engraved portrait of the English King James
> II. Philip Howard was an English Catholic Cardinal adviser to James and
> Jacobus de Rubeis was the engraver but it is not clear to me who is doing
> what to whom....I think, but may be wrong, that Howard commissioned the
> engraving from Rubeis aka Giacomo de Rossi

Any help would be much appreciated.

Monica