Oh, boy, what entertainment!

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
howard posner
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:30 PM
To: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Dowland's 100th Psalm

> On Apr 22, 2017, at 3:37 PM, Chris Barker <csbarker...@att.net> wrote:
>
>  I have
> read that John Dowland was a Roman Catholic.

He was.

> I also read that he was from
> time to time lutenist to Queen Elizabeth I of England.

He was not.

>  Queen Elizabeth, in
> dealing with Protestant/Catholic conflicts, liked to play both ends
> against the middle, kept some of each at court.  She also liked to
> have one or the other drawn and quartered, burned at the stake, etc.
> when it seemed politically "correct" (in her view anyway).

Well, mostly she liked to draw and quarter lute players.  It wasn’t just a
personal quirk.  Lute players were so unpopular in her time that drawing and
quartering them was a spectator sport, with announcers making lots of tasteless
jokes about gut strings.  Selling tickets to "Monday Night Luter Drawing &
Quartering” was a major source of revenue to the crown, second only to the fees
for the TV rights.