On 23.04.2017 15:07, Leonard Williams wrote:
I thought as much—hence the "promotion" to Dott(ore) in Ravenscroft.  Did
he get an advanced degree in the 17 year interval between Este and
Ravenscroft?

Exactly.

He received his Bachelor in 1588
and Doctor in (or before) 1620 as mentioned by Peacham in Thalia's Banquet.

Rainer

Leonard

On 4/23/17, 8:48 AM, "Ron Andrico" <praelu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I.D B. of M. = John Dowland, Bachelor of Music

From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu <lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu> on behalf of
Leonard Williams <arc...@verizon.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:29 PM
To: Lute List
Subject: [LUTE] Dowland's 100th Psalm

       Thanks for the references and good information on Dowland!
       I have looked into the facsimiles of both the Este and Ravenscroft
psalters. Este has 30 odd pieces by Dowland; Psalm 100 is not clearly
listed  under his name, but it appears in the book by "I.D.B. of M.".  It
is not the same as the setting I found.  Ravenscroft also has Dowland's
100th, listed under "French tunes" (composer Bourgeois).  (Ravenscroft
promotes Dowland to "Dott. of M.")  This is the version from which my 20th
c. hymnal selection is taken.  These are both in 4-part format and no real
help in producing a neat tab, however.
       If anyone wants a copy of my hymnal version in staff (piano score)
notation, let me know.

Thanks again!
Leonard

http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.htmlLute Mail list
technical information
<http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html>
www.cs.dartmouth.edu
Frequently Asked Technical Questions about the lute mail list. getting on
and off the list; How do I get on the lute mail list? How do I get off
the lute mail list?