From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
G. C.
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 8:49 AM
To: LuteNet list
Subject: [LUTE] Re: La folia

   [1]http://www.folias.nl/

   On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Braig, Eugene <[2]brai...@osu.edu>
   wrote:

     I can't fully answer, but I can narrow your search. Unfortunately, I
     think several of the early versions of La Folia will be in Italian
     tablature; I don't know what of these have been subsequently set in
     French tablature.   Dall'Aquila's many settings of La Cara Cossa
     will be for six-course lute.   For vihuela (functionally 6-course
     lute), there are Pisador's Pavana sobre La Folia, Valderrábano's
     Pavana and an anonymous Diferencias sobre Folias in the Silva de
     Sirenas manuscript, and Mendoza's Diferencias de FolÃas in the
     Ramillete de Flores manuscript.   For four-course guitar (which
     could be pretty easily realized on renaissance lute by limiting your
     use of its range) are Mudarra's Una Pavana and Le Roy's settling of
     the song "Mes pas semez."   This last I know was originally in
     French tablature.
     Best,
     Eugene