Am Samstag, 29. Juli 2017 16:48 CEST, Wayne <wst...@cs.dartmouth.edu> schrieb:

> So one of the issues, with Subject or Body, is that when an encoded message
> is unpacked for reading,
> and then recoded for a reply or forwarding, the several different mail
> reader/editors involved in the
> process tend to mess things up.  I was not able to read the emojis in your
> reply to the list.
>
>   Wayne

No, I think the situation is much less grimm. I was reading your last mail with
a webmail
client which replaced the unknown emoji characters (not in the font I use for
reading) with
those substitute characters. So what you probably got back in the reply body
was a properly
encoded substitute character. I wouldn't use emojis as a typical use case for
unicode ...
(just tested with my iPad and the emojis display correct).

Cheers, RalfD