A suggestion for the name 'arciliuto francese'  is that Dalla Casa
   (1737 - 1810) related it to the eleven course arciliuto depicted in
   Mersenne's much earlier treatise of 1637.  See link to Spencer's
   article (figure 16)
   [1]http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/spencer/html/spencer3.htm
   The last previous Italian music specifically for archlute is, of
   course, Zamboni's (c.1664 - 1721) of 1718. Zamboni was at least two
   generations older than Dalla Casa and wrote for the 14 course arciluito
   which had been employed in Italy from the early seventeenth century -
   perhaps by the mid-eighteenth century knowledge of the old instrument
   had faded away (in this late period liuto in Italy generally just means
   a six/seven course instrument).
   In short, I've suggested that Dalla Casa might have felt the need for a
   new name to differentiate his 'new' ten course instrument and so what
   better than to adopt the name from a respected historical source such
   as Mersenne's and at the same time give it some exotic added kudos in
   his native country....... It is also relevant that Dalla Casa adopted
   the French type of upper peghead (as dep[icted by Mersenne) rather than
   the usual liuto attiorbato type of upper peghead generally found in
   Italy earlier. So maybe the name also relates to the peghead style.
   Dalla Casa's compositions are rather different to Zamboni's which is
   late baroque in style and seems modelled on Corelli's (and
   contemporaries) violin works. Dalla Casa's seems, at least to me, to be
   pre-classical (as fits the times) with intereest mainly melodic. The
   use of staff notation was general for all lutes in Italy at this date.
   MH